Tuesday, April 1, 2008

American Idol

The Today Show was interviewing the most recently fallen American Idol, and he was asked about the difficulty of singing in different genres every week and whether that took away from his individuality. His response was, "As individuals, all we are is a combination of everything we've seen and heard."

I liked how he answered this question. It seems obvious, but we really are just bits and pieces of everything that's shaped us. The problem with this statement is that it seems to denigrate our individuality and uniqueness (and really, there's nothing new under the sun) but it's that unique combination that makes us who we are. There's no one else with that mix of elements that shaped your life.

And I think this is why it's so easy for me to be a "social chameleon" (as I've been called). That mix of elements, and the ability for adaptability. I still think I'm an INFJ, but various elements in my life have conspired to make me good at drawing people out of their shells. But it's not only who I am, but also the ability of those around me to bring out the different pieces of myself. I get along well with most people and can usually find something to talk about. And a good rule to remember is that most people love talking about themselves, all you have to do is ask the right questions.

But I think the difficulty comes in finding people who can take in and bring out all of those different pieces together.

No comments: