Monday, March 31, 2008

I Leave You With a Song and a Tear

The Dodos at the DC9
The Dodos didn't go on until about midnight, so I'm really tired; they were supposed to go on around 11. I'm going to need another jolt of caffeine soon. They headlined the show at the DC9, which is probably the size of my apartment. Pitchfork and NPR have started picking up on them, and I'm glad that I was able to see them in such a small place.

Their sound is reminiscent of an Animal Collective and Jose Gonzalez mix, if that's even possible. The drums provide an insistent, driving sound, and the drummer had even duct taped a tambourine to his left foot for added percussion. The lead singer/guitarist's (there's just two of them) guitar playing consists of a melodic, fast moving, fingerpicking style. While most guitarists are content to play an electric, acoustic, and occasional bass, his instrumental line up includes the trombone.

They're not very talkative, except when calling up their presumably part-time member to join them on the xylophone and toy piano. But they clearly know each other very well, as their frenetically-paced songs (some that include sudden pauses midsong) go by smoothly with not so much as a glance at each other. I enjoyed the show very much, and they were definitely worth the wait.

The Dodos - Walking.mp3

No comments: