Friday, March 26, 2010

iPod Shuffle

1. Thievery Corporation - The Hong Kong Triad
I realize that this song is from "The Mirror Conspiracy", which is probably the only reason that it's even on my iPod. Thank you Zach Braff.

2. Battles - Race: Out
Also not sure how this ended up on my iPod. (I'm beginning to suspect a theme here.) I'd say it's a bit more "experimental" a la Animal Collective meets Burial than electronica, but I'm still kind of hazy on all those sub-genres.

3. Aretha Franklin - Soul Serenade
I like this song because it builds into what Aretha Franklin is all about. It also makes me realize that while I love She & Him, there is no substitute for the real thing. (No, I'm not comparing Zooey Deschanel to Aretha Franklin, but speaking of general genre styles and such. Yes, I realize that they're not really similar at all, but for some reason She & Him gives me a not-quite-'60s sort of vibe.)

Bonus: The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
I was just thinking about them during my commute to work this morning, as that song by Owl City came on the radio. Now, the guy from Owl City has stated publicly that he has been influenced by The Postal Service and loves them, so I guess it's one of those "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" sort of things. But I don't understand how The Postal Service has never gotten mainstream radio play, but Owl City, who is clearly ripping off them (but not really, I guess, since he's admitted it), is all everywhere. If I've learned nothing else from "Dreamgirls", it's that payola is illegal and the FBI will track you down for that.

No comments: