Monday, June 2, 2008

In the Country of Men

"But it's a sign of madness, I know, to claim to know what is in another man's heart."

This is my favorite quote from Hasham Matar's book. As a whole, I thought the book itself was okay, but this quote really resonated with me. It's the story of a (true) revolution in Lebanon that is quickly squashed by the government, but told through the point of view of a child. It's kind of interesting to read from that pov, as he doesn't really understand what's going on, but as the reader you're able to "read between the lines" and view the inadvertent consequences that occur as his parents try to shelter him from the repercussions of protesting an oppressive government. He too young to understand, but only realizes that there is change afoot and the volatile relationship his parents have with the government.

This quote is from the main character, but is thought years later after he's sent to Egypt by his parents to escape the oppressive government. I think he is speaking about his father, and why his parents sent him away, though I'm not entirely sure. But, I think it holds true in most relationships as well. He evoked a sense of sadness and love that's beyond and deeper than the obvious, well, shouldn't they just communicate question. And I think it speaks to the hidden depths of a person that they'll hold within themselves, and not let out to share with anyone else.

No comments: