Monday, April 7, 2008

We Can't Hear the Sound of Symphonies over Some Simple Melody

Georgie James
We were front row for Georgie James. This is one of the great things about listening to random indie bands that don't sell out venues like the Black Cat, DC9, or Rock and Roll Hotel. I wish them well, I am secretly glad for that. I mean, you can't beat the front-row-center-concert vibe.

And I love Georgie James. They're a local band from DC and even managed a shout out to Montgomery County during their set. They incorporate a lot of fun hooks into their catchy lyrics, which are sometimes labeled as carefree indie pop. But as we've learned from Belle & Sebastian and The Decemberists, just because the music sounds happy does not mean that it actually is (re: Dear Catastrophe Waitress and A Cautionary song, respectively).

Georgie James - Look Me Up

*Update: Georgie James broke up in August and I wish I could rescind my statement about random indie bands.

No comments: