Monday, March 28, 2011

I Almost Bought a Buberry Purse

Granted it would've been over 50 percent off; though it still would've been over $500. Is that an exorbitant amount of money to spend on a purse? I saw a few online with the same design for about a third of that price. I mean, they would serve the same purpose. It's just that one would have a nice metallic piece that said "Burberry" and the other would not. Now, I was able to put the purse on hold at Bloomingdales before I made any purchases. 
Burberry ruched knot handbag (photo from iOffer)
 
Once I was able to see the bag, I could see that it would be too bulky for my borderline-petite frame. I really had to think about it, though. I think the allure of a Burberry bag for almost 50 percent off was almost too much to bear. Luckily reasoning won out and I realized that I wouldn't be able to actually use the bag for it's bulk. Instead, I purchased a Tory Burch bag (on sale), so now I can say that I've still never bought a handbag over $300. I'm not sure where I came upon that as my limit, but there it is.

That's not to say that I don't want a fancy bag. I do. But I also like being a little bit different, a little bit outside of the Korean, yuppie norm. If, for instance, Louis Vuitton were to come out with a bag (cut nicely) that did not feature their LV print or their checkerboard print, then I'd consider it. Though I'm not sure how seriously. And sadly, Louis Vuitton is never on sale. (When you get a Bloomingdales charge card, you get 10 percent off almost everything that day, including cosmetics. The exception? Louis Vuitton.) The Burberry bag I was considering did not feature their signature plaid.

Sometimes I wonder whether this is okay. I definitely have the quintessential "white person, middle class" guilt. Is it okay for me to have these nice things when others out there don't have enough to feed themselves? How do you reconcile spending the money that you've earned on what you want, versus on what goes for the greater good?

No comments: